PHEW. Okay so I don’t often (re: ever) post my own recipes but I made these last night and they’re really tasty, so I thought I would… You can use plain flour instead of spelt, but I love the nuttiness of spelt flour.
You can forgo Nutella or pick something else – different nuts or none at all – that’s the fun in baking, I find – experimentation. It helps that I have a fancy Kitchen-Aid mixer which makes things speed up.
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup oil
- 5 teaspoons Nutella
For the topping
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Grease or spray 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a smaller bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and oil. Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups*
*If you are using muffin tin liners, now is when you should add the Nutella to the mixing bowl and swirl it gently.
- *If greased tin: Spoon a dollop of Nutella onto each muffin and swirl together well.
- Combine all ingredients for the topping and mix with fingertips till it’s a crumbly consistency, pour over each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Good luck and have fun baking!
adapted from tastefully julie